- Scifaikus are science fiction haikus. (A haiku is a minimalist three-line poem with five, seven, and five syllables per line.) Here's an assortment of them on topics ranging from aliens to zombies. Read "Scifaikus (Science Fiction Haikus)."
- What if the account of Creation in Genesis 1 had been described in
terms of astrophysics? Read "Mystic
- Or what if that Creation account had been described in terms of
quantum menchanics? And from then to now what are the physics of
miracles? Read "Quantum Theology."
- Some consider it a mere myth, but could an astronomical event explain the mysterious Star of Bethlehem? Read
"Star of Wondering."
Movie Reviews and Essays
See also the Index of Films Reviewed
on this Site
- Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 offer surprisingly
profound spiritual lessons when unmasked from their comic-book
disguise. No other films have so evocatively explored the downside of
being a superhero. Peter Parker, the reluctant everyman messiah, must
constantly choose between self-interest and self-sacrifice, choose
between his own needs and those of others, choose between his own
social life and social obligation, and make all these choices while
being misunderstood and unappreciated. Being a superhero never seemed
so difficult. Read "Unmasking the
Spirituality of Spider-Man."
- In The Matrix trilogy, the Christ figure motif goes beyond
superficial plot enhancements and forms the fundamental core of the
three-part story. Neo’s messianic growth (in self-awareness and power)
and his eventual bringing of peace and salvation to humanity form the
essential plot of the trilogy. Read "He is the One: The Matrix
Trilogy's Postmodern Movie Messiah."
- Superman, the original superhero, is a culmination of the great
mythic heroes of the past. The hero's journey, a recurring cycle of
events in mythology, is described by Joseph Campbell. The three acts
in Superman: The Movie portray a complex calling to the
superhero's role, consisting of three distinct calls and journeys.
Each of the three stages includes the death of someone close to him,
different symbols of his own death and resurrection, and different
experiences of atonement with a father figure.
Read "The Superhero's Mythic Journey: Death
and the Heroic Cycle in Superman."
- The ultimate antihero messiah for the post-9/11 "War on Terror" era
can apparently be found in The Chronicles of Riddick, the
sequel to Pitch Black. Overcoming evil with evil,
unfortunately, seems to be the spirit of the times. Read
"Fighting Evil with Another Kind of Evil?"
- In 1962, monsters were popular in matinees, but the the real monster
was the threat of nuclear war. Read
review of Matinee.
Fiction (Short Stories)
- The mysterious Shroud of Turin has provoked controversy for
centuries. Many believe it is the authentic burial cloth of Christ.
Many believe it is a forgery. What if, however, there could be a final
proof beyond any doubt that it was genuine? What if that proof went
terribly, horribly wrong for us all? If you were told such a story by
a barely glimpsed stranger, would you, should you, believe it? Download (free) "Immaculate Misconception."
(This article is published on Smashwords.com.)
- A Doomsday Virus loose on the Internet causes all nuclear weapons to
launch. Darn those military contractors for not keeping their virus
checkers up to date! Although the post-civilization job market leaves
much to be desired, with a little ingenuity, writers can still earn a
buck (well, old cans of food). Read "The
Word Warrior: A Post-Apocalyptic Parody."
- Suppose you invented a space-time machine with the potential to
reveal many secrets of the universe--but also to transform renegade
nations and terrorist groups into dangerous superpowers. What would
you do? Should you concentrate on the glory and ignore the shadow side
of your life's work? Or should you destroy it all to prevent an
apocalypse? Go to "Time Shadows"
- If you were a Jewish physicist who had discovered time travel, would
you want to see the fall of Jerusalem in A.D. 70? Would you want to
stop it from happening? Read "Apocalypse
- Is the end of the world really the end? Can there be an astronomical
sequel to the book of Revelation? Read "Revelation
- Can a lonely young woman, a survivor of abusive relationships, find comfort and even protection with a friendly ghost? Read "Ghostgroom."
Go to the Home
page, Cinema page,